A big part of our school year is the field trips. Generally, we will study a topic ahead of time and then take the field trip – this helps them to fully understand the hands-on experiences. The kids have been to nearly every state, and experienced a wide range of of historical, scientific, and cultural activities that they wouldn’t have been able to do solely in our home state. Not every family is able to road school, but that doesn’t mean that field trips shouldn’t be a part of your school.
Field Trips in Town
- Attend a library program
- Local historic architecture
- Air Shows
- Historic Re-enactments
- Climb rocks
- Historic Museums (some are free)
- Pick-Your-Own Farm Visit
- Zoo (only free on certain days, or with a pass)
- Local newspaper
- Factory tours (some are free)
- Visit the beach, lake, or riverbank
- State Fairs have homeschool days
- Visit the local airport
- Work in a community garden
- Shadow a business (teens)
- Animal workshop at the pet shop
Field Trip Starters
- Zoo Studies — unit study bundle with sixteen zoo features
- Free & Easy Field Trips — printable idea planner
- Out of the Box Activity Calendar — VERY local ideas for daily fun
- Field Trips Planning Pack — get your co-op together for a trip
- Stars Study — nighttime field trip!
- Ecosystems — study your region and compare it to others
- Famous Artists — visit a local art museum and compare the pieces
- Rocks & Minerals — get down in the dirt and learn local geology
- Homeschool Uniforms — matching shirts mean it’s easier to spot a roaming kid!
Unique Field Trips
More Field Trip Ideas
- Check out the Roadschooling Page to find unit studies and field trips built around your location. There’s something for just about every state in the United States up there!
- Finally, though these aren’t free, educational subscription boxes are a great way to bring the field trip into your home. Here are some of our favorites!
- Use the world diversity book studies from Literary Adventures to travel the world from the comfort of your own home. You can go anywhere!